Applications to the M.A. program in history should be made through the Graduate School. In addition to the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School, the following are required for admission to the M.A. program in History:
- Acceptable performance on the verbal and analytical portions of the G.R.E.
- A satisfactory undergraduate GPA in History or a related discipline (3.0 or higher).
- A personal statement (1-2 pages) detailing your experiences, interests, and goals in history.
- Three letters of recommendation, at least two of which should be from professors in history or a related field.
- A writing sample, preferably from a historical research project.
- A curriculum vitae/résumé.
The priority deadline for admission to the History M.A. program is February 1 for Fall admission; November 1 for Spring admission.
Students are welcome to apply for either Spring or Fall admission; however, funding awards are made only for the Fall semester, in the weeks after the February 1 deadline. We do not accept any applications for admission during the summer sessions.
We welcome advanced UNC Charlotte undergraduate history majors, particularly those in the department's honors program, to apply for Early Entry to the M.A. program. Accepted applicants may count up to six credits for both the B.A. and the M.A. For more information about this option, please contact the Director of Graduate Studies.
For additional advice on what we are looking for in an application, please consider these three invaluable articles found on the American Historical Association's website: